The Victorian COVID-19 Vaccinees Collection (VC²) is a biospecimen collection – or biobank – of samples from people vaccinated against COVID-19 in Victoria.
What are the aims of the collection?
The collection supports essential research to understand the efficacy of vaccination in healthy adults and other key populations in Victoria as a unique location with low COVID-19 transmission.
Who can access samples?
All Victorian-based researchers are welcome to apply for access to samples and related demographic and medical history data. Researchers applying for access will need to have ethical approval and complete the VC² sample application process.
Who can contribute samples?
The biobank collects samples from a cross section of Victorians being vaccinated against COVID-19, including people who have already received their initial vaccines and are now getting a booster dose. This includes a cross-section of ages and vaccine types (currently Pfizer BioNtech, AstraZeneca and Moderna). Groups of high interest include:
- People over the age of 70
- People living with HIV
- People with prior COVID-19 infection
- Healthcare workers
- People with an immunosuppressive condition or on immunosuppressive agents, including people with rheumatological disease or who have received solid organ transplants
- People with chronic kidney disease
What types of samples are available?
The biobank will collect blood from up to 1500 vaccinees and store plasma, serum, peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) and DNA. Saliva may be collected from some participants.
Samples will be collected up to seven times over two years. The first collection is before the first vaccination and the final collection is taken 24 months after vaccination.
Who are the participating recruitment sites?
Recruitment is currently occurring through the following sites:
- Monash Medical Centre – 246 Clayton Road, Clayton 3168
- Western Health – Sunshine Hospital, 176 Furlong Road, St Albans 3021
- Austin Health – Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, 300 Waterdale Road, Ivanhoe 3079
Further sites will be added in due course.
Who is running the biobank?
The Victorian COVID-19 Vaccinees Collection (VC²) is a collaborative project hosted at the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity.